About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summer Flirt

I normally don't think about using only one designer or fabric line in a project (except for the Jinny Beyer collection). I mix and match the fabrics I find suitable for each project. But when I found the Flirtation collection from Moda when I visited QuiltegĂ„rden earlier this summer, I knew I had to have it and make a small summer project from the 36 squares inside the packet. I´ve never made a tumbler quilt before, but when I asked for tumbler templates, they were sold out. And so were all the four other quilt shops in Trondheim. In Skien, where I'm now there isn't any decent quilt shop at all, so I had to make them myself. I used Word on my Mac (yes, I'm converting from pc to Mac now) and draw tumblers with the drawing tool. I don't know if the ratio is correct, but who cares, the quilt police can't arrest me (hehe).

I cut out 72 two of each fabric. (There are still fabric for at least another miniaturequilt, maybe two). Them I basted them and lay them out to find a pleasing layout. And here's a trick I would like to share. If you shoot a black-and white photo of your project, you elliminate the colours and see only the contrast between lights and darks. Then you can check if your quilt is balanced contrastwise. (If your camera doesn't take BWs, you can achieve the same effect in your image editing software).

Now the blocks are sewn together. If you examine the BW photo and the finished result, you see some small changes which I hope made it better. No I just have to decide how to finish it. Borders? Quilting? Embellishing? Embroidery? Actually, I don't have a clue. So if you feel for sharing your ideas with me, please be welcome!

Inga

Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer projects

It's two days since my last post and the three skeins of yarn are converted into a pair of men's mittens. I really know the pattern after making 100+ pairs, so it doesn't take long to finish a pair.

Another project is the three bags in the next picture. I started with the red one, continued with the pink and then I had to make the green one. All of them are going to be christmas presents. They are both knitted and crocheted. I found the pattern in a a booklet from Garnstudio , but when I went to their website, I found out that you can download the patterns for free (at least if you speak any Scandinavian language). The red and pink bags are made in Muskat, the yarn described in the pattern. But where I'm staying now, there is no shop that carries that specific yarn, so I had to substitute it with Mandarin Classic from Sandnes. The gauge is almost the same (21 vs 22 stiches on 10 centimeters) and as the observant reader will see, I've used the pink yarn from one of the other bags for the edges.

The final project is inspired by one of the new bloggers I've added in the "Blogs to read"- section. Little Cotton Rabbits has designed some incredible cute knitted stuff. I especially fell for these lovely cup cakes. The pattern is not available, so I had to come up with my own version. I incorporated the techniques used in the bags and am almost satisfied. I had to use cotton balls from the medicine cupboard, and they don't fill out as well as I want, but I will try again when I return home in two weeks. Now I have other gastronomic knitting plans....

Inga

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sign of Life

Hi there! I've not been a prolific blogger nor quilter or knitter lately. The professional part of me has taken up too much time the last year. The Bach-projet (which I wrote about in my last post) was a nerve-wrecking experience from day one of planning, but it all went well with great reviews and artistic success for all of us who participated.

The project ended in April and after that, I've been so lucky to work freelance for the local newspaper. I've written concert reviews, shot photos during concerts and written stories from the small village where I live.

Now it's vacation and I've finally found time to delve into creative activities again. The yarn on the first picture is my next project, this Daletta yarn from Dale are for a pair of male mittens. Normally I use the baby wool from the same yarn mill, but to make them a bit larger to suit men's hands, this is a good choice.

We're spending a few relaxing days with my mother-in-law and I would like to share an idea for a scrap project I made for her years ago. The strips used in these potholders are cut 2 inches wide. The materials are from my scrap bin. I guess you all have scraps to finish at least a dozen. :-D

Inga