About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Friday, December 08, 2006

My new voice

Meet my new voice! (picture from www.selmer.fr). The picture shows what I went to Oslo, the capitol of Norway, yesterday to collect. My old bassclarinet was 10 years old and marked after several years of solid use. So earlier this year I applied to my employees to substitute it with a new instrument. I also applied for a new Bb-clarinet and to my pleasure, I was granted both. Since I mostly play the bass, I decided to deal with that first. So when an instrument maker I know went to Paris earlier this week, he got the mission to find a really good instrument for me. He came home with two, and yesterday I travelled down to Oslo to audition them. I liked one of them more than the other and decided to go for it. It's scary though to take that decision. It's not a cheap instrument and for me it has to be able to express my musical intentions and feelings. So I hope I can be comfortable with this new voice of mine.

I haven't started practicing on it yet. Had to play a military cermon in a church 120 kilometres from here today, but tomorrow I will spend alot of time with the work of art that an instrument of this quality is.

Because the instrument came out cheaper than expected, there was some money left over. I've bought new mouthpieces, reeds and other accesories that will help me find my new musical voice.


And if you wonder about my quilting, I will get back to it someday soon....



Inga

7 comments:

Forgetmenot said...

Hi Inge! Congratulations on your new instrument, and I hope it is everything you wish for, and more. Elizabeth

Hedgehog said...

Didn't realize you played the bass clarinet, too! My little brother does. Congrats on your new instrument.

May Britt said...

Congratulation. I know the budget in the military (because I am working at Rena) and you have been a lucky girl getting what you wanted.

Patty said...

What a wonderful new "toy".
I am sure you will make wonderful music with it.

dot said...

This looks very intimadating to me. I bet you are going to love your new friend.

The Calico Cat said...

Congrats! I hope you get many wonderful years of enjoyment out of it.

Simonetta said...

Congratulations for the new tool. I love a lot the music, would be very beautiful to be able to listen to you while are playing!