About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It's Christmas Time!


It's time to sit down and review this year's Christmas. In Norway, we continue the celebration tomorrow also, but the most serious part of the celebration is over. When I was a child, Christmas Day wasn't something dealed (dealt?)with easily. We were never allowed to go out and play with other kids. It was a family day. We 've kept it like that this year also, visiting a my husbands aunt and an uncle of him that I've never seen before. He's a musician like both my husband and I, so it was really nice to finally meet him. (My husband and I have been together for more than 13 years.)

As you may know, our main celebration here in Norway is Christmas Eve. We had a nice dinner and then we handed out the gifts. We gave my father-in-law a creative present. He got needles and yarns and he started almost immediately to work on the scarf I prepared. He's 88 years old and I think he's a really good sport taking the challenge I've given him.

When it comes to my crafting, I'm not doing much. I even left home without anything to do. I needed a break. That break lasted for two days. So now I'm crocheting plate coasters. I hope to make at least 4 within the next week.

Have a nice Christmas everyone!


Inga

7 comments:

Sweet P said...

What a great gift for your father-in-law. And how cool he started working on the project.

Patti said...

The plate coasters are very beautiful and complicated looking. I can't believe you can make four of them in a week! The yarn and needles was a great, thoughtful gift!

Patti - Hardenbrook girl
1chartfp@comcast.net

dot said...

Your hand work is so beautiful. Your grandfather looks so intense while knitting. What a great way to keep the brain active. Good thing he took to it so quickly. I gave my soon to be daughter in law a learn to knit book and yarn. Hope she takes to it as quickly.

Lucy said...

The picture from your father in law is a treasure !
ANd your handwork is stunning !

La Tea Dah said...

Thank you for sharing your Christmas with us in photo. Your projects are beautiful, fresh, and creative. I especially love the picture of your father-in-law, learning to knit. Your thoughts on the importance of Christmas Eve reminds me of when I was a child. When I was in first grade, my school put on a Christmas program in a large auditorium. It was about Christmas in other parts of the world. I remember my part even yet. I was to sit in a rocking chair and "knit" while someone sang a song. We were representing Norway and I felt so honored.

Happy New Year and the best in 2007!

Jodie said...

Happy belated Christmas Inga, to you and your family. Your father in law is such a great sport. How is he progressing with his scarf?

Jodie

Tazzie said...

Your crochet work is just beautiful, it's something I can only dream about doing.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)