About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What's inside a piano?

We had the piano guy here today. Our piano needed badly a tuneup, since it was three years since we last tuned it. Normally an A should be 440 Hz, and wind players like me and my husband prefer it to be even higher, 442Hz. Before he came today, we checked it, and it was like 437 Hz. For those of you that doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about, it's impossible for a wind instrument to play together with a piano with that flat tuning. The keys also needed adjustment, so when I ran into this guy last week, I quickly arranged for him to come. He does a great job, doesn't charge too much and is a nice person also. When he was working today I took some shots of the interior in our piano. This was the the most "crafty" pic I got, and it reminded me about what craftsmansship that is behind the making of a quality musical instrument.

Another thing I was reminded about today, was some of the rascals I went to school with at college. I majored in music, and some of the guys in my class the last year, thought it would be a great idea to have a beer during lunchhour on Fridays. It was strictly forbidden to use alcohol at the school premises or even show up tipsy, but they smuggled the beers into a rehearsing studio and enjoyed their beer there. But there was a problem, what should they do with the empty cans? A genious idea was launched: "We flatten the cans and put them into the piano". So thought, so done. The piano sounded odder and odder for every week that went, but it wasn't discovered until the summer vacation when the piano mechanic was called in to tune the piano. He took off the front plate, and out came 76 beer boxes neatly pressed flat! Do I need to say that it became noisy? The class below us was the first scape goats, and I still don't know if the real perpetrators was found.

Our piano contained only dust.

Inga

5 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Ha ha on the beer story, that's funny!! Makes me thirsty for one! :)

Judy said...

Funny story! Makes me miss my piano.

Maya Madhavan said...

I am curious - how did you measure the frequency of the note? I am glad your piano is hitting the right note again! :)

Your classmates from college reminded me of my own in school. One day, our class had been used for band practice before classes started and the students had left the music sheet stand in our class. Some boys, who came in early, took it apart and threw it out of the window, onto the ledge outside. (Don't ask me why they did it - I never understood some of their antics, I still can't! :) Later in the day, maybe the same fellows or some others cut up paper and threw it out of the window. The headmaster's office was directly below ours and some of the paper floated around the ledge and in through his window. He came to our class to see why we were throwing paper out of the window. He looked out of the window in our class and saw the music stand. All of us got penalised because the guilty ones wouldn't own up and the rest didn't want to be tattle tales. We had to all chip in to pay for the broken stand. While some of us were amused, most were not! :)

Alena said...

I love your photo, Inga! I am glad your piano again has the proper sound, it is always nice to have it done, great beer story... really funny...

Patti said...

Your story really made me chuckle. When we were kids we kept track of our practice in a little notebook on the piano. We'd put the pencil next to the notebook, but often when we went to write down our practice the pencil was missing. When my mother had the piano tuned he took out 76 pencils! No wonder some of the keys had started sticking!