About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Sunday hike

My husband and I went hiking today. For a couple of years now we have been planning to walk up to a view point in the hills behing our house. It's in the middle on the hill you see in the first picture. The place is called Raudmoldheia (Red soil heath directly translated) and it's approx. 600 metres above sea level. It isn't too long but it's quite steep so the last two hikes we've done has been to prepare ourselves for the top. As you can see, there is still some snow left, but it's no problem walking in suitable shoes. When we went out, it was quite cloudy and windy, but the closer we got to the top, the warmer and sunnier it got . We stopped halfway to the top and had lunch. (Food never tastes better than when you eat outside.) I was quite exhausted before we ate, but afterwars I felt really fit to continue to the top. The reward is view of the lovely mountains in Vesteraalen, the mountains surrounding Narvik and also Andoya, where the asfalt actually blows off the roads during winterstorms and cod blows up on your doorstep (I'm not kidding, promise!) And Mother Nature rewarded us with the best possible weather when we finally came up. I hope the photos show what a splendid day we had. We were out for more than four hours and we have more than 200 photos that needs organizing. Please check my husbands website in a couple of days to see more photos from this trip.


Inga


11 comments:

dot said...

Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.

Patty said...

Love the view from the top. Certainly higher than anything in this part of the world.
Looks like it was a lovely day for hiking too.
I am sure you will sleep good tonight after climbing today

Lucy said...

The pictures are georgous. I wish I was there... I love the vieuw

Simonetta said...

Thanks Inga to share with us these marvelous places:))))

Alena said...

Dear Inga,
thank you so much for sharing this trip with us, what a beautiful place you are living in...
always when watching your photos I feel pretty jealous, there is nothing like being able to take a walk in the middle of such a beauty... What a gorgeaus fresh air you must be breathing there!!!
all photos are beautiful as well as the finished quiltitng stuff you are posting in your last entry, I especially like the make up bag with its lively colors...
Hope, that you are having a great time up there in the north :o)
Love. A.

the quilters said...

oh my god !!!! I remember so much things..... Where are you living Inga ??? I have some pictures really similar to yours. They are from Narvik. it was a so WONDERFUL stay in your country. THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!! CĂ©line (who are dreaming)

Vero M said...

Wow..this is lovely !! My mom is going to your lovely country on wednesday...I wish I was with her...

Maya Madhavan said...

Sounds like it was a great hike! Lucky you! The photos of the views from up there are amazing - it would have been so fantastic to have been there!

La Tea Dah said...

Absolutely beautiful! What a lovely place to hike! Thanks for sharing.

Laurie Ann said...

What a beautiful hike! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Simonetta said...

Hi Inga, you are right, I have to relax me and to sew more :))))
Do you really like to exchange a siggy with me?