About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Monday, May 01, 2006

My May challenge

I get so inspired by reading about all the goals you girls set for yourself each month, so now I'm setting up my own challenges for one month. Okay, here it goes:

  1. No buying of craft related materials until next month. I have more than enough to keep me going this month and probably the rest of this year.
  2. No starting new projects.
  3. I'm going to work on two UFOs (either quilting, crocheting, knitting or embroidery) plus knitting rounds on my mittens every day (exept for the 16th of May)
  4. Finish 4 pairs of mittens plus the one pair I'm currently working on, a total of 5 pairs. 5 pairs done!
  5. Reduce the number of UFO-boxes from three to two.
  6. Reduce the contents in my scrap box to a minimum (hopefully empty).

I'll update this post to let you all know how it goes.

May 1st:

  • finished quilting and started binding my mother's tabletopper. Only some handstiching on the binding left
  • Almost finished basting a Christmas tabletopper which has been untouched for over a year
  • finished the first of ten mittens. 4 and a half pairs to go

No I'm going to baste some hexagons, while we listen to some jazz

May 2nd:

  • finished the binding on my mother's table runner - it's done!
  • finished basting the Christmas table topper from yesterday's post
  • quilted on the Broken dishes quilt started during Easter
  • knitted a wristband ++ on the mittens

So far, so good. I also managed to not buying anything despite that the Keepsake newsletter was in the mailbox today. Dangerous...

May 3rd:

  • quilted on my Broken dishes quilt
  • finished a needle cushion started three years ago. It's sticky (because I left the quilter's tape on the top) and it's not a beauty, but it's finished
  • getting to the point on the mitten that I've started to cast off

It's unbelievable how much knitting you get done in one and a half hour car driving (in the passenger seat, of course)

May 4th:

  • quilted more on my Broken dishes quilt. Quilting almost done
  • finished the first pair of mittens
  • finished a pair of knitted potholders I started one year ago. Knitted nearly one whole potholder

This is going very neatly. I'll post photos of the finished stuff during the weekend.

May 5th:

  • Finished quilting Broken dishes quilt. Prepared binding and hanging sleeve. They will be sewn on the quilt tomorrow at the second day of the handpiecing class I'm giving.
  • Made borders, border blocks and cut binding for pastel fourpatch. Also for teaching purposes.
  • Knitted 1/3 of a mitten (During driving and afterwards sitting on the veranda)

I also casted off a knitted headband while watching TV.

May 6th:

  • Doing minor stuff on three projects (Broken dishes quilt, pastel four patch, christmas table topper). Counts as one project.
  • Finishing off a placemat (handsewing the border and doing some applique)
  • Knitting rounds on my mittens. Half of mitten done

May 7th:

  • Finished Broken dishes quilt
  • Borders sewn on pastel four patch. Ready to baste and quilt
  • First mitten of second pair finished

May 8th:

  • Finished a jewel bag (Pattern from Norwegian Quilting Association)
  • Quilted on my Christmas table topper
  • Knitted a wristband on my mittens

May 9th:

  • Quilted and bound the second placemat - finished!
  • Quilted on my Christmas table topper
  • Knitted on my mitten. It's ready to start to cast off and knit the thumb

May 10th:

  • Quilted and finished 3 coasters which I prepared three and a half years ago
  • Quilted on my Christmas table topper
  • Finished second pair of mittens. Started on another pair

May 11th:

  • Machinequilted and finished a make-up purse
  • Quilted on my Christmas table topper. Quilting almost done.
  • Knitted a wristband ++ on my mittens

May 12th:

  • Finished quilting on the Christmas table topper. Binding put on by machine. Needs to be stiched by hand to the back
  • More than half a mitten done
  • Crocheted on the bed spread for our guest room

May 13th:

  • Finished Christmas table topper
  • Finished first mitten in third pair
  • Crocheted on the bed spread

My 14th:

  • Quilted on my "Dictator's Chess Board" - quilt
  • Knitted a wristband on a mitten
  • Crocheted on the bedspread

May 15th:

  • Finished quilting on "Dictator's Chess Board" - quilt. Binding and hanging sleeve put on by machine. Need to be handstiched to the back.
  • More than half a mitten done
  • Crocheted on the bed spread

May 16th:

  • Finished "Dictator's Chess Board" - quilt
  • Almost finished the mitten. Only thumb left
  • Crocheted on my bed spread

I didn't think I would have had time to do as much today, but my work schedule was altered, so I used my spare time properly.

May 17th:

  • Finished the quilting on my "Quilting etude #1"
  • Finished 3rd pair of mittens
  • Crocheted on my bedspread

May 18th:

  • Bound the "Quilting etude #1" - it's finished
  • Finished quilting and bound my miniature Trip around the world-quilt
  • Knitted a wristband on my mittens

May 19th:

  • Finished two scissors cases. Actually the were meant to be potholders. but the batting was too thin. That's why I stopped working on them in the first place.
  • Cut, basted and started sewing on borders on a table runner in autumn colours.
  • Half a mitten done

May 20th:

  • Finished sewing the borders onto the autumn table runner. It's ready for basting
  • Almost finished sandwiching the quilt class sampler from an earlier post. Only three basting threads are left ot do.
  • Finished the first mitten in the fourth pair

May 21st:

  • Finished basting ans started quilting on the quilt class sampler
  • Basted a bluework-wallhanging
  • Knitted a wristband on my mittens

May 22nd:

  • Quilted ALOT on my bluework-wallhanging
  • More than half a mitten done
  • Crocheted on the bed spread.

I did do alot today, but it has been a horrible day. I'll explain later

May 23rd:

  • Finished quilting on the bluework-wallhanging. Binding ready to sew on.
  • Finished mitten. Four pairs done.
  • Crocheted on the bed spread
  • Quilted on the sampler from quilting class

May 24th:

  • Finished the bluework wallhanging
  • Cutting patches for the border of my redwork wallhanging
  • Quilted on my sampler
  • Knitted a wristband ++ on my mittens.

Now I have four days off work, so I hope to do a lot, but I guess there will be a lot of time spent hiking in the hills behind our house.

May 25th:

  • Worked on my redwork wallhanging
  • Pieced a table runner
  • Half a mitten done.
  • Crocheted on my bed spread

I accidentally started a new project today. I didn't mean to, I swear! For the last two days I've been cutting patches for the border on my redwork, and today I started piecing them. I laid out one border and string pieced them vertically. When I was putting it up against the redwork, it looked ugly! I had to redecide about the redwork thing. So now I have 150 2.5 x 2.5 inches squares and a half pieced border. It won't add up in my project box, so I'm finishing the border and using it as a center in a table runner. It actually has the colours I'm thinking about for my new sewing room (not in the nearest future). The redwork wallhanging will have a smple pne fabric border with lots of quilting.

May 26th:

  • Pieced the center of the table runner and designing quilting motifs
  • Pieced one border on the redwork. The rest must be done when I'm allowed (by myself) to buy fabrics again :-D
  • Almost finished sandwiching a miniature quilt
  • Casted off one mitten. Only the thumb remains.

May 27th:

  • Finished sandwiching and quilted on the miniature
  • Piecing a wallhanging called "Friends" which I started more than 5 years ago
  • Finished first mitten of the fifth pair
  • Crocheted on my bed spread

May 28th:

  • Quilted on my miniature
  • Finished a jewel bag from an orphan block of an abandoned project.

Now I'm going to cast on a mitten, and then my goal for today is reached (within the smallest limits :-D)

May 29th:

  • Finished piecing the "Friends"-wallhanging (not anything to do with the series)
  • Quilted on my quilt class sampler
  • Crocheted on the bed spread
  • Knitted a few rounds on the last mitten.

May 30th:

  • Basted and prepared binding for a tablerunner in autumn colours. Now it's ready to be quilted with the silk thread I know my husband is given me for my birthday this weekend :-D( I ordered it myself)
  • Started casting off the mitten
  • Crocheted on the bed spread.

Only one day left of challenge.

May 31st:

  • Sandwiched the Friends wallhanging
  • Pieced one border on a tablecloth. Discovered that I haven't enough fabrics for the last border.
  • Sandwiched a table topper more than five years old.
  • Finished the last mitten all five pairs done!

Inga

5 comments:

Maya Madhavan said...

I desperately need to do something like this myself. I have at least 5 quilts I need to start on and 3 that I have to finish. Notice I say that I have to start on some before I can finish the ones I've started already. I give up! We need an organization for quilters on the lines of "Alcoholics Anonymous" to help us with our addiction! :)

Hanne said...

Hehe Inga Helene :-) Good to have company ! I managed to work on 3 projects today, before life intervened and prevented me from working on # 4. These 4 will be this week's focus.I promise to post some photos tomorrow.

Patty said...

You are off to a good start on your list !

Patty said...

You accomplished so much today ! Good girl. I cleaned all day and cooked and didn't get to play with my new sewing machine so I am jealous of you getting to have fun sewing today

Hanne said...

Very good going on your projects Inga Helene. Thanks for the company :-) Good story about the beer cans in the piano as well - made me smile.