About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Saturday, May 06, 2006

The most beautiful classroom in the world?

We're experiencing something quite extraordinary these days. You know, living on the 69th parallel doesn't give you much feeling with the four seasons. We have something like 8 months of winter, followed by four months of the average of spring, summer and autumn in one. But lately there has been a silent sense of surprised gratitude among the population up above the Arctic Circle. It started last weekend with nice weather and it continued on this weekend with sun from a clear blue sky and temperatures matching the rest of Europe. Yesterday, when I came home from work around 5.30 pm, we sat on the veranda for several hours enjoying warm weather and a sun that almost doesn't set any more. In the town earlier the same day, you could see people with T-shirts, shorts and bare legs in their shoes, something you normally don't see until the middle of June.

I was in fact a bit afraid that the students in my hand piecing class would not show up today because of the nice weather, but I didn't have to worry. Since it was a hand piecing class, I hoped we could do most of our work outside, and that's what happened. Today we spent the whole day outside the farmhouse/gallery where we originally should have held our class. And what a classroom we ended up with. It was sunny, warm and bright and what a view we had! The girls (aged 26 to 67) had prepared well and had made some wonderful handpieced items, both the English and the American way and they continued their work very nicely today. One girl had even made 5 of the most tricky Dear Jane blocks in two weeks. I was really impressed about what they had achieved. Today we made borders, appliqued and quilted and finally I explained how to put on the binding. We've agreed upon meeting at autumn in one of the girls's barn and I hope to see some finished work then.

The weather forecast antecipates the same weather for tomorrow and I hope to spend the day outside the house. I actually should have washed the house, but who knows. Maybe this is all the summer we will get this year, so I guess the house cleaning can wait. I don't know what I've done to deserve this, but I'll certainly enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Inga

5 comments:

Hanne said...

We are enjoying the weather in the southern parts of Norway as well, and the last of the snow just disappeared this week. This has really been the longest winter ! It is so nice to sew outdoors, don't you think ?

Alena said...

Dear Inga,
I am happy for you, the weather looks really gorgeous on the photos, it is great that your hand-piecing class is such a success, I am just wondering what is the difference between the English and American method of piecing - ups, I did not came across that yet in my short quilting life...
Take care and enjoy the weather...

Patty said...

Nothing like wonderful weather to make you feel happy !
It certainly has been a strange weather year, but nice warm weather is nice no matter how strange it is

Judy said...

The photos are wonderful and I wish I could twinkle my nose and jump right into the picture! Don't worry about the inside work when the outside is that beautiful!! Like you said, it will always wait for you!

Laura said...

What a lovely view to quilt by! We have had gorgeous sunshine in Indiana but a lot of wind has came with it. I love to sit outside and work on handwork. But my view is either soybean or cornfields here in Indiana!