About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Granny stuff

My grandmothers meant everything to me. Ever since I was a little girl, these two women were an important part of my life and their lives and experiences have given me a valuable contribution to coping with life in general. They where almost the same age, one born in 1914, the other in 1912, but their lives was totally different from each other. My father's mom grew up in a wealthy family, my mother's mother didn't. But they were both strong women that had to overcome other people judging them. My father's mother got pregnant in 1935 without being married. She got three sons, all with the same man, but the first one was born before the marriage. He grew up with his grandparents, while his brothers (my father included) , who was born after the marriage, grew up with their parents. This wasn't something that was discussed in the family, but from what I've read about the time period, this must have been quite an ordeal for her. My grandma and grandpa was married as long as they lived, so they started their family just a little bit too early.

My mom's mother did everything in the right order. She got married , gave birth to four kids, and then she got divorced in 1952! That must have been a tough one also. She didn't have a job, was not educated and had to take care of four children from 2 to 12. How she managed, I do not now, but it must have been a really difficult time. Both my grandmothers lived in small communities, and people talking hasn't changed I guess.

What's odd is that I never met my grandfather. He actually died after my grandmother, but as long as she lived, he was a person I didn't know existed. My mother told me, after my grandparents both died (only six months apart) that he actually had been quite near us all the time, but because of my grandmother, I couldn't contact him. How strange....

Most of my crafting skills are a result of their teaching, knowledge and love. My mother's mother was the thrifty one, saving every little piece of yarn to put into her pillows and needle cushions. I still collect the yarn ends of my mittens. My father's mother was the one who taught me to always do things in a correct manner, despite how it would be more timeconsuming than "easy-does-it". And both of them taught me to never let quantity and price come before quality.

The throw in the picture is a tribute to them both. With granny squares, it has its roots in the tradition, but the colours lead on to today. And if you wonder, this is taken in our garden.

Inga

5 comments:

Hanne said...

Lovely throw Inga - and thought provocing stories to go with it

dot said...

Very nice story of your grandmothers. What a treasure you received from both of them. I did not grow up close to mine and at times fill sorrow over that. I hope to someday be a good grandma and teach my grand children crafts.

Patty said...

What good stories Inga. Lets us all know what strong women you come from. The granny square throw is so pretty. A perfect tribute to both your grandmothers.
I remember seeing a picture of another granny square you did with black borders that was bright colors. I keep that one in my mind as to do one like it some time.
You are so talented.

Laurie Ann said...

Lovely throw! Yes, you are lucky to have two such wonderful grandmothers. One of mine was uninterested in life and the other died when I was young and all I remember is how she used to try to make me eat sardines. Blech.

Maya Madhavan said...

It is a lovely throw and the perfect tribute to your grandmothers! It is amazing how much strength our mothers, grandmothers and really all our female ancestors have(had). I was closest to my Mom's grandmother. She lived with us and since my Mom was working, she had a large part in raising me. It was such a privilege to have known her and to have been her first great grandchild. My grandmothers were amazing women too. They are all no more and it is not easy to convey what a loss that is.