About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Monday, April 24, 2006

At ease, soldier!

As I've told you before, I work in a military band. We mostly play concerts for the civillian population, but we also do military seremonies. Today, the conflicts of the world got very close when we participated in a seremony honouring participants in the UN-lead operation going on in Afghanistan. I February, six Norwegian soldiers and officers were wounded in Meymaneh, when a peaceful demonstration became violent. Today it was time to honour those who suffered physically. The Norwegian Chief of Defence visited the unit and awarded the soldiers and officers their medals. We also participated, playing marches thoughout the seremony. Suddenly the world news became very close. This picture is taken at another occasion, which I will tell you about later, but it's my band ready for parade.

Saturday I taught a hand piecing class: Five women from 26 to 67 participated and we had a really good time. I taught them to handpiece both the English and the American way. This is how our working table looked after a while. Constructive mess, I would call it. We'll meet Saturday in two weeks to border, quilt and bind our small projects. If this class is a success, we'll annouce the class during autumn also.

The last picture is a small project I came up with before the class started. I needed a simple project where colour was the main target. This is actually two small quilts. I call them postcard quilts. since the centre is 4 x 6 inches. I plan to appliqué each centre onto the fabric it's placed on, and then quilt and appliqué the border according to the theme the colours make me think about. The right one is spring and the left one is autumn.

Inga

3 comments:

dot said...

Wow, I just don't know what to say. I picture of the group quilting is nice, your little quilts are adorable.

Patty said...

War is so devestating for everyone and you feel it so much more when the wounded are from your area.

I love the quilting class picture. It looks like everyone is having fun.
You inspire me with those tiny blocks

Hanne said...

It must be very special to play in a memorial. Even in our little corner of the world, we get involved in events far away.

Lovely class pictures :-)