About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Friday, February 03, 2006

The Sun is here!

And what's the deal? Isn't the sun here always? Not when you live above the Arctic Circle. Our last encounter with the "gas-lump" was in mid november. After that it doesn't rise above the horizon. It's not totally dark, as it is on Svalbard, the islands in the Arctic Sea, but it is never really daylight for two months. I "cheated" and went south for Christmas and New Year's eve, so I've had a glimpse of it, but today was the first time I saw it in 2006. It should have been here in mid January, but because of the weather, we haven't been able to see it before. I'm not a fan of the polar nights, but the reward comes in summer, when we have Midnight Sun for two months. Then it's almost impossible to go to bed.

Now I'm off to do some handquilting with this fabulous thread. It's pure silk, strong yet soft and slides easily through the fabric. And it looks gorgeous.

Inga

4 comments:

Patty said...

It must be a welcome sight to see the sun !
I have never used silk for quilting but your thread all looks so pretty I am convinced that I need to buy some and give it a try.
Its a great photo

The Calico Cat said...

What a welcome sight the moon must be after the midnight sun.... (I'm a lunar gal - fair skin & red hair does not bode well with the sun.) Lovely photo though.

How do you like working with the silk? I tried it once and did not much care for it, but I have heard so many good things that I may give another try.

Maya Madhavan said...

The photo of the sun is surely extra special - conidering he was away on holiday all these weeks! :)
I look forward to seeing the project you are currently working on. I've never hand quilted much though I've been wanting to do so. The colours and the fact you say it would slide easily through the fabric makes it very tempting.

Kate said...

I've just found your blog, and look forward to seeing more of your colorful quilts in the coming months! Thank you for sharing!