About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Pre concert thoughts

Today is concert day, and for the first time after Christmas we have a very demanding program. The concert is a collaboration between us and the Norwegian State Academy of Music. The conductors (2) are Master students of conducting and our windband is one of two professional wind bands the Academy has chosen to work together with. The first part of the concert is lead by a talented girl. It was actually a strange feeling the first time we had a female conductor, because we're not used to it, but she is VERY talented and I think she has a great carreer in front of her. She has chosen some really difficult music to play, but fantastic to listen to. (It's fantastic to play it also, even if it's difficult). We open with an ouverture by the Danish composer Carl Nielsen. It's called "Helios" if you're interested. And then there is a song cycle by the French composer Hector Berlioz, "Les Nuits d'été". Imagine 25 quilters hitting the needle's eye at the exact same moment. I think that may describe how difficult this music is. It's all about precision, hitting the notes at the correct moment and making perfect sounds at the exact milliseconds. Do I need to say that perfectionism is an occupational hazard for musicians? :-D

I try to not let this occupational hazard take control over my life, but I admit it's difficult to let it go and relax. I guess I've avoided to do things because I worried it wouldn't be "good enough", especially when I was younger. Hopefully I've taken steps in the right direction since I've accepted an invitation to exhibit some of my pictures and quilts in a local gallery in the end of March. I'm also going to play solo and be in charge of a student concert with my own and my DH's students. I'm frightened by the thought but I'm really looking forward to it.

Because of the work strain this week, not much quilting has been done, but next week will give more time to do fun stuff again. Hopefully I'll complete the quilt from the last post and start handquilting another large project. Maybe I'll also make some pot holders like the one's to the left. The strip bag with 2 inch strips is pretty full.

Inga

4 comments:

Patty said...

I will be sure to check out the music pieces you mentioned. Part of aging is knowing deep inside what we are really good at and also knowing the world does not cave in if we are less than perfect with something new we want to try. Its a good place to arrive at. I never played baseball once growing up because I just knew I would miss hitting the ball. If someone asked me now to play I would and I would laugh when I missed !

Laurie Ann said...

Good luck at your concert! I am sure it will be great!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Pre-concert jitters - I am hoping all goes well for you and that you will be able to relax once it is all over.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Alena said...

It sounds pretty exciting! I do love Summer nights by Berliotz... the Nielsen thing I do not know, unfortunatelly... It is great to hear that you work with a woman conductor, I do not know any, I hope she will be relly successful in her career...
Enjoy your new patchwork project...