About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Friday, February 24, 2006

Meet Mr. and Mrs. Handy

Ok, we're finally doing something reasonable with our house. You see, in the eighties, every Norwegian household of a certain standard had to but pinewood paneling on the walls. In the first appartment we bought together there was pinewood all over the ground floor and I swore to myself that in my new home I would never have pine paneling again. I don't judge people that choose to have it on on their walls, it's just that I'm really fed up by the look. We've lived here for nearly five years and we've done alot, but there are still pinewood on some of the walls. You have to remember that this is a 2336 sqm house, and I NEED to quilt also :-D

On the first picture you see my DH painting the roof in our dining room/ music room. It's quite high, nearly 4,5 feet on the highest. The house is divided in two vertically with half a storey shiftment between the floors (does that makes sence?) so the max difference between the roof and the floor is nearly 7 feet. The room will be almost totally white with lots of windows to let in the light and the accoustics are gorgeous. We've had a house concert here already and it sounds great. We like our surrondings to be white; then it's much easier to match furniture and textiles.

I'm doing the entrance area. It will look more spacious than before, and we can finally work out a nice welcoming area to our guests.

If anyone of you have been looking at my quilting stats lately, you've seen that I've completed one UFO. That is the red, white, gray and black quilt I was sewing on earlier. I will post pictures of it later, because I'm going to exhibit it in March, and I don't want to reveal it all until then. I'm posting a quilt picture anyhow. This was taken at an exhibition held at "Blaafarveverket" in southern Norway in 1999. Aasa Wettre is a Swedish quilter who has been collecting antique Scandinavian quilts for decades. She has even written a book about them. It's called "Gamla svenska lapptäcken" (ISBN 91-550-3913-8) if anyone's interested. The quilt in the picture is from a place called Lidköping and was made approx. 1880 - 1890.

Inga

8 comments:

Patty said...

Hi Inga, its going to be so pretty, and I agree PINE in moderation, not everywhere : ) I like white walls, gives it a nice fresh clean look and makes everything seem more spacious. Looks like you two are having fun also, with the nice smiles.

La Tea Dah said...

Inga, I love the new look! We are in the process of eliminating walnut paneling in our home right now. We are applying sheet rock and texture and will paint a light color. I'm not sure what 'shade' of white, but your post has encouraged me to go quite white! Thanks for the inspiration!

LaDonna

cindyquilts said...

I grew up in a home where my dear father ADDED lots of knotty pine and knotty cedar. Mom has never had the courage to paint it white but I see it can be done quite nicely.
And of course you need time to quilt!

Alena said...

Inga, your house is beautiful and I am sure that panneling will look much better when white...
It must have been a lots of work though, as your house is so huge...
I am looking forward to seing your recently finish quilt!!! Have a nice Sunday.

Finn said...

High fives for getting the painting done..*VBS* I'll bet it will help alot. Hard job to get to, but great when it's done..*S*

Patti said...

Hello Inga, I enjoyed reading through your blog and seeing your quilts. Do you do all your piecing by hand? It looks like you do lots of English paper piecing. Do you like that best? Your quilts are very pretty.

Wood everywhere gets very tiring, doesn't it! You will enjoy your home so much once the painting is finished.

Bonnie said...

You will feel like you are in a new house when you finish painting! The last house we lived in also had wood paneling in the family room, and I painted it before we moved the furniture in. It just had to go, it made the room so dark! I also love the pic of the antique star quilt. I love reading about antique quilts from other countries!

Bonnie

martha in ny said...

When I first bought my house the first thing I did was to paint the horrible brown fake wood paneling. We have since replaced about half of it but the paint makes it bearable! Love white walls!!