About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Diamond Girl!

Finally I've reached a new step in the achiement list for Janiacs. Today I've finished my 75th block on the Arctic Jane I'm working on. I've struggled with this quilt since september 2001. 75 blocks make me a Diamond Jane, but there's a long way to go yet. I've still got 94 blocks left, and then there's also 51 triangles and 4 corners. Maybe I will finish it before I retire in 2024? ;-). In the picture you see how my Dear Jane looks in virtual. I've scanned all blocks and you can see them at my website. This gives a fairly good idea of how it will be when finished.

I was naughty yesterday. I started a new project before I finished one of my UFO's, which was my original plan. But I was inspired by Lucy's story. She chose to make tiny hexagons while sitting at the hospital with her father. I've been cutting very tiny hexagons (7/16 inch) when cleaning up my stash box. Yesterday I basted the most colourful hexagons and laid them out on the table. They formed a cheerful triangle which made me think of love, faith and hope, which is what Lucy have to cling to for her father. I'm planning to applique the triangle onto black fabric to underline the seriousness of the disease Lucy's father suffers from, and then I plan to make a deep red border to underline the love aspect. I'll post pictures of the result. I will name this miniature "Hope".

Inga

3 comments:

Patty said...

Congratulations Diamond Girl !
They are so beautiful. Be proud of yourself.
Its just too hard to pass up a new project when one pops into your head. I like the color layout you have chosen for the hexagons.

Alena said...

Your DJ looks gorgeous, I have already came across this kind of virtual table for the finished blocks on internet and I absolutely loved it - for a while I even was playing with the idea of starting my own DJ, but then I had a closer look at all those complicated blocks and I realized that I would probably spend more time being mad than enjoying myself while trying to make them in the proper size... Forget it I told myself...
Nice idea about hexagons, I asked my husband one week ago to order paper hexagons in the local patchwork shop in his home town in Belgium, he will pick them up when spending there few days with his parents and our children... I also got ispired by Lucy, I thought I would kind of support her by making also little flowers and use them for some kind of table cloth for our dining table... Looking forward to seing your hexagon project finished...

Cathi said...

Congratulations from a fellow DJer! I'm starting to sash mine together...have had a great time working on the blocks, and am almost sad not to have any blocks or tris left...on this DJ quilt...might have to do a wallhanging or something to keep up the addiction!

Your hope project sounds great, and a lovely tribute for Lucy and her troubles too!