About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tuesday is Teaching

Tuesday is one of my two teaching days. I teach the clarinet in the community school of Music and Arts. No classroom-teaching, only one student at a time. It's a nice job. Since we don't have our own children, I can relate to the young ones of today through my students. And I think that we do an important job for the kids also. Except for the parents, how many other grown-ups do kids have for themselves half an hour every week? I taught one girl for nearly ten years. I think it was harder for her to quit than for me, even though I miss that student. She was the most talented kid I've ever tutored.

Even though many people do think that learning to play an instrument is not one of the necessities of life, a lot of the stuff we musicians teach, can also relate to real life. The kids learn to study hard, practice every day if they really want to master their talent, deal with nerves and keep focused in straining situations like concerts and performances. A lot of real life situations is similar to this

The UFO of today is also made for teaching purposes. I made it for my first quilt teaching class. I wonder when I'm going to find time to quilt all my tops?


Inga

4 comments:

Rosanne said...

Hi Inga
I learned how to play the clarinet about five years ago with the homeschool band my kids were in. It was like learning a whole new language. I didn't continue with it, but I'm glad I made the effort to learn something new.

Patty said...

I agree with you 100% about music lessons. My oldest daughter plays piano and recorder, my second daughter plays violin. They learned discipline too from the lessons.
That is a good quilt for having as an example for your class. The colors work well for showing off the patterns.

La Tea Dah said...

Inga, my sons took piano lessons from a lovely lady who taught the "Piano Basics" method of Suzuki. She was so gifted and worked beautifully with all her students. I always said that even if my children learned nothing about piano, it was worth the expense, as they learned discipline, routine, music appreciation, and developed brain waves to help them with mathematics. And yes, they learned to play the piano too. Music brings much joy to life. I enjoyed your post today.

Maya Madhavan said...

I've been reading your blogs for a while now and want to say that I enjoy your posts. I wasn't able to comment earlier because I did not have a blogger account. I just got myself one of those today! :)

I am among those who believe that it is very important for folks (starting at a young age) to learn classical music - either singing or playing an instrument. It does instill discipline, enhances memory & retention and gives them a skill that they can enjoy all their lives. I learnt to sing in the South Indian classical style years ago and it has enriched my life on so many levels. I've very recently started piano lessons and I am having great fun learning.

I am so in awe of you - being a musician, teacher and a skilled quilter! Just the things I want to be - when I grow up! :)