About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Making mittens

Yesterday I talked about the mittens I'm making. I guess some of you are interested in seeing them. This is a pattern I learned from my grandmother. Normally they're knitted in black and white yarn, but after a class with Kaffe Fasset I've given my mittens an extreme makeover. The yarn is a soft baby wool quality which can be washed in the machine and the needles I'm using are 3mm. You can check out the website to the company Dale

The weather hasn't improved much. When we woke up this morning, the ground was covered with a thin layer of snow, but that's all gone now. It's raining and the wind is blowing harder now than earlier this week.


Since this is a quilting blog, I should include pictures of a quilt or two. This is the most scrappy quilt I've done so far. All the fabrics are new, but I've only used swatches from Keepsake quilting. I think I've basted several hundred of this little pieces, and I plan to use them all and many many more for a quilt based on the mittens pattern. But before I can start on that, I have to handquilt two quite large quilts for an exhibition of my pictures and quilts I'm invited to give in the end of March. It's my first exhibition and I'm extremely excited and quite a bit nervous about it. The quilt on the picture is going to be showcased. If you're interested in seeing more of my work, please visit my website.

Inga

5 comments:

Patty said...

The mittens are so pretty. You do beautiful work. My knitting is not so good that I would even attempt to make some. Maybe some day I will get brave and try to knit some. I have just started making socks this year.
I love the colors in the quilt, it reminds me of an amish quilt with the dark background.

YankeeQuilter said...

I love the Kaffe Fasset books but have yet to make anything out of them! I have used some of his double shot weave fabric in a few quilts. I love your photo's...so different from where I live in the Southern U.S....70 degree farn. today! Do wish I had a reason for mittens like yours though...
Siobhan

La Tea Dah said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the mittens too. . .lovely!

Your lack of snow concerns me. It seems that global warming is affecting us all. I hope it snows soon so you can have adequate water for summer.

Stop by and visit my blog some time. It's at:
http://gracioushospitality.blogspot.com

I'll be back! I love your photos!
La Tea Dah

Bonnie said...

beautiful quilt and wonderful mittens! I am amazed at anyone who can knit like that...I can crochet, but knitting has me boggled!

Bonnie

Carolyn said...

Your mittens are beautiful and I love the quilt. I'm so glad you started a blog! Now I'm off to see your and your husband's websites...