About living a creative life in a small commuity approximately 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I've got m@il!

Buying fabric in Norway can be an expensive experience. Normally a quilting quality cotton starts at 130 NKR pr. meter (=40 inches). Divide that with 6.5 (the prize for one dollar) and you get the US price. I checked the price for a backing fabric, and that costs 30 dollars per meter. So I shop some of my fabrics from internetstores in USA. This time I needed a backing for an exhibition quilt, and decided to order it from Keepsake. They had a special offer which I couldn't resist. 20 fat quarters for twenty dollars. Five yards of fabric for the price of one meter in Norway! Even though there is postage, handling and customs added to that price, it's incredibly cheap for me. I also ordered a book. I placed the order two weeks ago and today it arrived! The pictures show a selection of the fabics I got. Some nice ones, some quite ordinary, a few fabulous ones and then there is the ones you'd never buy if you could choose the fabric for yourself. But that's okay. I tend to use the "ugly" ones to make variety.

The day has been quite productive. I had the day off (this time it was planned) since I only participate in one third of this weeks concert. I've made 6 more nine patches. I have twelve now, so I think I will start to sew them together tomorrow. I had to wash the black solid which I'm going to use together with the blocks. And I can nearly see the bottom of my scrap box now. I'm tempted from time to time to throw it all away, but I regard the empyting-the-scrapbox-project as a training course in perseverance................ :-D


Inga

5 comments:

Mrs. Q and Miss Candi said...

Inga,
I love Keepsakes.I just got a new catalog this week. I love fabric too.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Patty said...

Ouch, Inga that is expensive fabric. In our wal-mart store the most expensive fabric is under $4 a yard. I often get fabric for $1 a yard and good quality. In the quilt shops where fabric is the most expensive we pay something like $8 a yard.
If you are ever in need of something let me know and I can look for you. I can take my digital camera to the store and take pictures of what we have.
I did pay $20 a yard for some Swedish Dala horse fabric on line this year. I love it though

La Tea Dah said...

I admire you for getting to the bottom of your scrap box! I enjoyed your post today.

dot said...

I can't imagine spending that much on fabric. I guess I can't complain anymore about our prices. Scraps are not just scraps they are precious pieces of fabric. Thanks for the the oppurtunity of seeing your new fabrics and helping me keep my life in perspective.

Lucy said...

Hi Inga,

The same is here in the Netherlands . The fabric is so expensive that I most buy it in america. my favourite site is http://www.fabricshack.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=4484981.8950.s0&lastmenu=&menu=submenu-2000.html .. I link you to the sale. They have a lot of interesting fabric. and ... they fit 10 ! yard in a priority envelop...

Lucy